How can Toastmasters help your career
Toastmasters club was designed to help people improve their communication and leadership skills…but it is most widely known to develop one’s public speaking skills. It is an excellent training ground for anyone seeking a career or looking to improve their overall skills. Toastmasters experience can offer you the following advantages:
- Presentation Skills – Being an excellent presenter is by far one of the best advantages a person can possess. The training focuses on effective use of voice, eye contact, gestures, timing, handling nerves and using visual aids to add to your presentation. Whether you are in the boardroom looking to justify your position during a company meeting, or in front a room full of people, you need to inspire and persuade the audience to get in to your message. The presentation skills you acquire from toastmasters will give you that edge.
- Leaderships Skills – Leadership skills can help position you as the expert in any field. Toastmasters take on challenges, make things happen and get things done. The Toastmasters program has a parallel track to the communication path which will provide specific training applicable to advancing your career, especially if management is a goal of yours.
- Credibility – Toastmasters are known for continuous self-improvement. Your association to Toastmasters will be a powerful contributor to your resume. It is an excellent topic when answering the question, “Tell me about yourself” during your next interview.
- Confidence – soaring confidence is a tremendous advantage. As a Toastmaster, you are required to step out of your comfort zone every time you tackle a new speech, plan a contest or put yourself up for evaluation. Toastmasters are conditioned to work through fear, which ultimately builds confidence. As your confidence grows, the challenges you take on will become easier.
- Organizational Skills – Organizational skills are important in work for follow up, managing your database, preparing proposals and presentations, managing your daily activities, meeting preparation…etc. The skills you receive from your Toastmasters experience will improve your organizational skills. Drafting speeches in a concise, yet logical format that is both informative and entertaining takes excellent organizational skills which can easily be applied to your career.
- Sharper Listening Skills –In Toastmasters, members learn techniques for delivering constructive, yet positive evaluations. They are also evaluated regularly. Receiving and giving evaluations help us hone our listening skills and accept constructive feedback more easily. Toastmasters are well equipped to listen reflectively to their clients/colleagues and provide relevant solutions which will give them yet another advantage in their career tool belt.
- Networking Opportunities – Toastmasters are a supportive group. They will make an effort to help each other because they all have something in common. In most cities, there are a lot of clubs, so the opportunities are vast. A lot of networking goes on within the Toastmasters clubs, especially during the contests. Fellow toastmasters feel comfortable sharing their knowledge with each other
Source: http://www.articlesbase.comPosted on: 03.12.2015, by : Aisha Maukembayeva